It has been a long and tiring day at your work. All you want to do is sit on your comfy couch, turn on the TV and have a warm cup of tea. But you can’t do that. Why? Hip Pain!
Hip pain can make your daily life terrible. Mild or severe – it does not allow you to sit, to rest. You can never find a comfortable sitting position. It’s constant; it’s real. Naturally, all your other activities are hampered as well.
So, what is it that is making our life a living hell? Let’s read about the causes of hip pain.
- Injury in muscle: Sports, heavy weight lifting, fall, and some daily life activities may injure or stretch the muscles, soft tissue, and ligaments in your hip. Such incidents can be one of the causes of hip pain.
- Injury in the bones: A fall or a major collision can affect the hip bones causing a fracture. A broken hip is a serious medical issue for people of any age group. Surgery is almost always required and any complication may even become fatal. Needless to mention, it will be one of the causes of hip pain, tremendously.
- Osteoarthritis: Your hips bones carry the weight of your entire body. Over time, the joints and other cartilages start to wear out causing pain and inflammation. The condition is called osteoarthritis. It is one of the most common factors that act as one of the causes of hip pain.
- Arthritis: Rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis are autoimmune diseases. This means that the body’s immune cells start attacking the body’s own tissues including the bones. Rheumatoid has a genetic component in it while psoriatic can only affect people who have psoriasis (an autoimmune disease that causes red, itchy and scaly patches on the skin). Arthritis might cause hip pain. It is often characterised by difficulty in motion.
- Ankylosing spondylitis: This is a type of inflammatory condition which affects only the joints. It typically affects the joints in the spine leading to back pain, hip pain, stiffness etc.
- Bursitis: Every joint is covered with a fluid-filled sac called bursa. Hip bursitis is caused when the hip bursa becomes thin or swollen. People suffering from bursitis experience pain during hip-based movement or when they put stress on the hip.
- Hip impingement: In every joint, one end of a bone has a round, ball-like structure and the other has a socket. The ball fits in the socket and moves freely. But sometimes, an extra growth in any or both the bones may cause hindrance in this movement. This also will cause hip pain.
There are other factors as well which can cause hip pain. But luckily, all of these diseases can be cured or controlled. If you have a hip pain that makes your daily life difficult, talk to a doctor. For many diseases, early diagnosis is very important. An expert will be able to make a treatment plan to either cure or to slow down the progress of a disease and can guide you how to live a better life with the disease.
About Sunshine Hospitals
A multi-super speciality institution, 500+ bedded Sunshine Hospitals (Paradise Circle, Secunderabad) is promoted by globally reputed Joint Replacement Surgeon Dr. AV Gurava Reddy and like-minded associates who share the objective of making world-standard healthcare available, affordable and accessible to the common man.