- 13 July 2016
- 1387 Views
Home Remedies for Tonsillitis
At the back of your throat, two masses of tissue called tonsils act as filters, trapping germs that could otherwise enter your airways and cause infection. They also produce antibodies to fight infection.
But sometimes the tonsils themselves become infected. Overwhelmed by bacteria or viruses, they swell and become inflamed, a condition known as tonsillitis.
A person suffering from tonsillitis experiences the following symptoms.
- Swollen tonsils
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck
- Ear pain
- Throat pain
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Nausea and vomiting
- Change in voice
- One of the effective pain killers for tonsillitis is cold compress. To make a cold compress, take few ice cubes and wrap them in a clean cloth. Place this cold compress on the tonsils area every 2 hours for about 10-15 minutes.
- To one glass of hot milk, add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Mix it well and drink this before going to bed.
- To a glass of lukewarm water, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and 2 teaspoons of honey and mix it well. Drinking this 2 times a day relieves the pain and lowers the effect of tonsillitis.
- Drink freshly squeezed beetroot, carrot, or cucumber juice daily to boost your body’s immune system and fight the infection more efficiently. You can have these juices individually or mix them together for the best results.
- Boil fenugreek seeds in water for half an hour. Cool and strain and gargle with this water. Fenugreek has antibacterial properties that make it an excellent cure for tonsillitis.