A very busy or stressful day can be treated with a good sleep. Sleeping makes you feel better and refreshed. Your sleep can be intruded by your irregular pattern of breathing or snoring. Snoring is not just irritating but it is dangerous to your health.
We advice you to be aware of snoring, which can also be a warning sign for obstructive sleep apnea. It a dangerous sleep-related breathing disorder, afflicting millions of adults and children. Sleep apnea is a chronic disease that is destructive to your health. Here’s what you need to know about it.
What Is Sleep Apnea?
Obstructive sleep apnea is a common and serious sleep disorder that causes you to stop and start breathing during sleep. The airway is blocked repeatedly by limiting the amount of air that goes to your lungs. When the oxygen level comes down in your body it affects the brain which in turn awakes you. This may happen less frequently in mild cases or repeatedly in severe cases. The lack of oxygen your body can lead to long-term consequences that are negative for your health. This includes:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Pre-diabetes and diabetes
What Are The Signs Of Sleep Apnea?
Here are warning signs for sleep apnea:
- Snoring: Besides being a disturbance to your bed partner, loud and frequent snoring is a common symptom of sleep apnea but not everyone who snores has sleep apnea.
- Choking and gasping: When snoring is paired with choking, gasping or silent breathing pauses during sleep, it’s a strong indicator of sleep apnea.
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Morning headache
How Can It Be Diagnosed? Diagnostic Sleep Study A sleep study in the lab will provide the most complete evaluation of your sleep. It will require you to stay overnight at a sleep center or in the hospital for this study. Sleep apnea testing at home can also be done if:
- You have moderate obstructive sleep apnea symptoms
- No significant medical conditions other than sleep apnea
You should not have a home sleep apnea test if:
- High risk of getting obstructive sleep apnea
- Medical conditions such as pulmonary diseases, neuromuscular diseases, or congestive heart failure.
CPAP Titration Study If you are diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea before the initiation of the treatment you are required to undergo a CPAP study.
Treatment And Therapy CPAP Therapy: Continuous positive airway pressure is the frontline treatment for obstructive sleep apnea. CPAP therapy helps in opening the nasal airway by providing a gentle stream of air through a mask that you are supposed to wear while you sleeping. Oral Appliance Therapy: The treatment is best for treating snoring which involves wearing a removable oral appliance in your mouth while you sleep. This is ideal for patients who cannot tolerate CPAP treatment. Surgery: The goal of surgery is to treat the airway passages that collapse and block your breathing during sleep. Surgery is recommended if you are unable to tolerate CPAP therapy, which is the most effective treatment option for OSA.
Good Sleeping Habits:
Sleeping is very important for the internal organs in your body as they also need some rest. Thus some of the habits that you should inculcate before or during sleeping are:
- Establish a regular bedtime and waking time
- If you take naps during the daytime, do not exceed more than 45 minutes.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol, drinking coffee, or intake of sugar-rich rood 4 hours before bedtime
- Do not smoke before going to bed
- Keep away all the electronic gadgets that might disturb your sleep.
- Use comfortable bedding and proper temperature in your bedroom.
If you find yourself waking at night due to breathing difficulties, it is important that you meet a doctor at Sunshine Hospital for further treatment. Sunshine Hospital has a level one sleep lab and we provide a comprehensive sleep care with a multidisciplinary approach.
About Sunshine Hospitals:
A Multi Super Speciality Institution, 500 bedded Sunshine Hospitals (Paradise Circle, Secunderabad) is promoted by globally reputed Joint Replacement Surgeon Dr. AV Gurava Reddy (Orthopedic Doctor) and like-minded associates who share the objective of making world-standard healthcare available, affordable and accessible to the common man. Sunshine has now become one of the best hospitals for many treatments including Orthopedic, Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Trauma and Neurology.