Dietetics & Nutrition
All of us realise the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. But getting the best and most accurate information isn’t always easy. Dieticians at Sunshine Hospitals are here to assist you in your search for answers. Dieticians are experienced, qualified Food and Nutrition experts who are committed to helping you to enjoy a healthy life.
Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) is an essential component of comprehensive health care. Individuals with a variety of conditions and illnesses can improve their health and quality of life by receiving medical nutrition therapy. During an MNT intervention for in-patients and out-patients, Dieticians counsel patients on behavioural and lifestyle changes required to impact long-term eating habits and health.
Medical Nutrition Therapy includes:
- Performing a comprehensive nutrition assessment determining the nutrition diagnosis
- Planning and implementing a nutrition intervention using evidence-based nutrition practice guidelines
- Monitoring and evaluating an individual’s progress over subsequent visits with the dieticians
Dieticians provide MNT and other nutrition services for a variety of diseases and conditions including:
- Cardiovascular Diseases: hypertension, dyslipidemia, congestive heart failure, CABG/PTCA
- Diabetes: Type 1, Type 2, Gestational
- Disease Prevention: general wellness
- Trauma: burns, minor and major accidents, surgical patients
- GI Disorders: celiac disease, cirrhosis and other liver related disorders, Crohn’s disease, pancreatitis
- Immuno-compromise: food allergy, HIV/AIDS
- Nutritional Support: oral, enteral, parenteral
- Paediatrics: infant/child feeding, failure-to-thrive, inborn errors of metabolism
- Pulmonary Disease: COPD
- Renal Disease: insufficiency, chronic failure, transplantation
- Weight Management: Overweight/obesity, bariatric surgery, eating disorders
- Women’s Health: Pregnancy, osteoporosis, anaemia
Nutrition Care Planning:
- Nutrition-related problems and needs are identified in the nutrition assessment by the nutrition professionals.
- The nutrition expert identifies goals and approaches to nutrition-related problems and requirements. Aims and approaches are individualised, specific, measurable, and time referenced.
- The professional nutrition records nutrition-related care plans on the designated charting form completes the nutritional care plan, and reviews all initial nutrition care plans. Nutrition care plans are maintained by the nutrition professional and other care plan team members.
- The nutrition professionals attend to each of the in-patients and out-patients. Nutrition-related problems and needs, as well as goals and approaches, are communicated to the patient and their attendees for integration into the overall care plan. The results of the nutrition assessment are discussed at the care plan meeting. An interdisciplinary team prepares the care plan.
- The nutrition care plan is reviewed and updated when a significant change in a nutrition-related condition occurs. When necessary, recommendations to change the overall care plan are made. Changes are dated and signed by the person making the change.
- The professional nutrition implements any changes made to the overall care plan in the Nutritional Services Department, such as changing diet-order lists, etc.
- Nutrition-related problems and needs, goals and approaches and monitoring techniques are documented.
- The nutrition-related services provided to the patient as per the comprehensive care plan meet professional standards of quality and are provided by qualified persons.
Services we offer
Dietitians at Sunshine Hospitals perform nutritional evaluations, recommend therapeutic diets and provide nutrition support with an aim to aid faster recovery of patients and improving their quality of life. Some of the services we offer are
- Study of Body Fat percentage
- Nutritional assessment
- Management of therapeutic diets and nutritional support
- Coordination with medical staff on nutritional matters
Role of dietetics & nutrition
The department offers full dietary assessment and guidance on how best to meet needs of individual patients. From providing nutritional supplementation to complete nutritional support to parenteral nutrition, the D&N department provides the best support for patients suffering from conditions such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, renal failure, liver disease, cancer, etc.
Our Process Sheet:
We bring innovation to work when it comes to identifying and helping patients during their stay at the hospital. Some of the steps we take to care for patients vulnerable to undernourishment are:
- Prescribing and providing nutritional supplements in tasty drinks.
- Dietitians check patients during the time of serving or eating a meal to ask if any help is required and to assist in feeding, if necessary.
- A personalised record chart is used to keep track of meals and supplements provided to the patient. The amount of meal taken is explicitly mentioned (all, half or nothing), and if it is lesser than directed by the dietitian, then it is immediately brought to their notice.
- We encourage cooks visiting the wards on a random basis, talking to the patients and understanding their needs better, and of course, serving better.
- If the patient has not found anything to his liking in the current menu, he/she can opt for the lighter menu choices or request for food that they like, which has to be approved by the dietitian.
About Sunshine Hospital:
With a focus on overall wellness and good health, Sunshine has now become one of the best hospitals for many treatments including Orthopedic, Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Trauma and Bariatric Surgery in Hyderabad. It’s risen in popularity thanks of the team of highly-skilled doctors and high-end technology that’s available to diagnose accurately and treat effectively. Sunshine Hospitals has branches in Secunderabad, Gachibowli, Karimnagar and Bhubaneswar.
Click here to book an appointment with our Specialists at Sunshine Hospitals.
Click Here For Knowing Frequently Asked Questions For Our Specialities FAQs