An Overview Of Weight Loss Surgery
Losing weight is never an easy thing. Be it the urge to eat junk, or laziness that prevents you from exercising, weight loss is a challenge, but something that has the potential to shut down your social life altogether. Some of you might have hopped from one fad diet to the next. Initially, the diets could have been so productive and you would have been overjoyed at the success.
But the actual problem is once you slowly wean off the diet, the weight starts to return. Some of you might try a combination of healthier eating and exercise which can be effective for a small percentage of people, for others it does not last long. You may start to make excuses to get out of exercising. Another biggest enemy for you would be overcoming cravings for unhealthy foods and not giving in to these temptations.
This journey to weight loss can be a long winding road in which some of you may not have succeeded. So what can you do next? Why don’t you give it a try on weight loss surgeries? You may be familiar with weight loss surgeries but not too much into it Here’s what you should know
What Is Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery is a medical term for weight loss surgery. It refers to any surgical procedure on stomach and intestine to induce weight loss. The surgery’s aim is to medically decrease the size of the stomach so that your appetite and food intake is reduced.
How Does It Work?
Weight-loss surgery once performed will:
- Limit the amount of food you’re able to comfortably eat, by limiting the calorie intake.
- Decrease the number of calories and nutrients the body absorbs.
Weight-loss surgery offers the best chance of losing weight for most of the people.
What Are The Different Types Of Bariatric Surgery?
There are seven types in it
- Sleeve Gastrectomy – after performing this surgery you would feel less hungry and full sooner while eating
- Gastric Bypass – after the laparoscopic surgery you would feel full sooner while eating and absorb fewer minerals
- Duodenal Switch – post-surgery you would feel less hungry and full sooner while eating, also absorb fewer calories and minerals
- LAP-BAND – it is laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding procedure where you would feel full sooner while eating
- Gastric Balloon – you will temporarily feel fuller while eating because of the balloon inside your stomach. The balloon is removed only after 6 months
- vBloc Therapy – after this surgery is done you will feel full between meals & less hungry while eating
- Aspire Assist – you will eventually drain out a portion of stomach contents right after eating
Who Can Undergo Weight Loss Surgery?
If almost all the weight loss techniques that you have tried had failed then you can go for bariatric surgery if
- Your BMI level is more than 30
- You are obese and you have medical complications such as diabetes or high blood pressure
- You are willing to make a committed to making changes in your lifestyle changes that require a surgery to work
Is Weight Loss Surgery Safe?
Yes, it is. Doctors consider this bariatric surgery to be the most effective and durable treatment for obesity. Even though it has got risks at its own rate, there is hundred percent surety that you’ll definitely lose weight if you perform any of the surgery under a specialized doctor form Sunshine Hospitals.
The amount of weight you’ll lose after the surgery entirely depends on the type of surgery you go through. With sleeve gastrectomy, you’ll lose 60 percent of the weight and 80 percent of extra weight after going through gastric bypass surgery.
Other than the weight loss this surgery also provides you with other benefits:
- It decreases coronary heart disease, stroke, and peripheral heart disease
- It eliminates obstructive sleep apnea
- Relief from depression
- Relief from joint pain
- It improves fertility
- It keeps away type-2 diabetes for a long-term
People who have lost hopes of losing weight in a non-surgical way can always go for bariatric surgeries. Once you lose weight a lot of medical complications also make a way out of your body keeping your body mentally and physically stable.
About the Doctor:
Dr. Venugopal Pareek is one of the best Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon in the city having done more than 9000 surgeries in 12 years. Trained in the esteemed Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences in Surgical Oncology, Dr. Pareek has the expertise in Bariatric Surgery. He has attended several conferences and published articles on medicine as well in various national and international journals.
About Sunshine Hospitals:
A Multi Super Speciality Institution, 500 bedded Sunshine Hospitals (Paradise Circle, Secunderabad) is promoted by globally reputed Joint Replacement Surgeon Dr. AV Gurava Reddy (Orthopedic Doctor) and like-minded associates who share the objective of making world-standard healthcare available, affordable and accessible to the common man. Sunshine has now become one of the best hospitals for many treatments including Orthopedic, Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Trauma and Neurology.