- 17 June 2019
- 988 Views
Do You Know The Facts About ACL Injury?
The Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) is a tissue which connects the thigh bone and shinbone of the knee. The ACL prevents excessive forward movement of the shin bone(Tibia) in front of the thigh bone(femur) and also provide rotational stability for the knee.
It also prevents hyperextension of the knee (a straightening movement other than the normal range of motion in the joint). By preventing these harmful motions in the knee, the ACL will provide stability to the knee joint and also helps for dynamic motions.
If this ligament is damaged by any means, then it is termed as ACL Injury or ACL tear. Though anyone can encounter an ACL injury, most ACL injuries are associated with athletes. Because they are caused by sudden movement changes while playing different sports such as football, soccer, basketball, tennis etc. in their daily life.
The ligament is located inside the knee joint. In most of the ACL injury cases, if the ligament inside the knee is completely torn, reconstruction is inevitable because ligaments cannot heal on their own. The only possible way is to attain the full motion of the knee is through surgery. In some possible cases, it also results as a sprain which can be treated through physical therapies.
Top Facts To Know About ACL Injury
- ACL Injuries can occur anywhere and any time, but most frequently occurs while playing football, basketball, Soccer etc.
- 30% of ACL injuries occur due to physical contact and 70% are non-contact injuries.
- In athletes, 50% of them are most likely to develop osteoarthritis within 10-20 years after an ACL injury.
- Studies also say that preventive training can reduce 50% of ACL injuries.
- Females are more prone to experience ACL injury than males
- Surgery for many ACL injuries is recommended when there is a combination of injuries, i.e. damage to the meniscus, articular cartilage, or other ligaments in the knee.
- 50% of ACL injuries are accompanied by damage to the cartilage or other ligaments in the knee.
- ACL injuries are more accounting in men aged 20 to 24 years and in women aged 15 to 19 years.
Approximately, 70% of ACL injuries in young athletes, causing an early onset of osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis. It leads to the breakdown of the cartilage in knee joints and even worsens over time. Women are 2-10 times more likely to effect from ACL injury compared to men.
How To Avoid ACL Injuries?
Knee injuries are becoming common day by day and experts are largely focussing on to shorten the recovery time and to improve the stability of the knee after ACL surgeries.
If the muscles surrounding our knees are strong enough and flexible, then the ACL injuries can be prevented partially.
Prevention mostly focuses on the proper control of the nerve and muscle in the knee. Exercising is one of the best ways to increase muscle power, balance, and also improves your core strength and stability.
Tips to reduce the risk of affecting from an ACL injury:
- Get proper training under the vision of experts.
- Learn proper landing techniques after jumps.
- When you bend, crouch your knees and hip, so that it reduces stress on the ACL.
- Wear knee braces to support your ligaments while playing games
- Strengthen your hamstring(muscles at the back of thigh) and quadriceps(the muscle at the front) muscles. These muscles work together to bend or straighten your legs. Strengthening of these muscles can protect your knees against injuries.
We, Sunshine Hospitals, being the best in giving treatment for ACL Injuries and other Ortho problems, we provide you with the best treatment options. Book an appointment right away and consult our experts.
About Sunshine Hospitals:
A Multi Super Speciality Institution, 500 bedded Sunshine Hospitals (Paradise Circle, Secunderabad) is promoted by globally reputed Joint Replacement Surgeon Dr AV Gurava Reddy (Orthopedic Doctor) and like-minded associates who share the objective of making world-standard healthcare available, affordable and accessible to the common man. Sunshine has now become one of the best hospitals for many treatments including Orthopedic, Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Trauma and Neurology.