Herniated Disc: An Overview
It’s critical both for your physical and emotional well-being. Remember, bravery and commitment are all associated with the spine.
From standing up straight, to being flexible, the spine is the one that assists us in a lot of movements. No wonder, then, that it’s one of the most critical bones, also because it is important for the nervous system also.
Naturally, of course, the spine can be troubled by a number of ailments. The lumbar is a disc which in the lower part of the body. This is the abdominal portion that is between the diaphragm and the sacrum. From the top to the bottom there are seven bones which are fit into the vertebrae. The bones below this are cushioned by disks. These disks are like the shock absorbers in cars and other vehicles.
What Is A Herniated Disc?
Every disk comprises of two layers- one, is the inner layer that contains a liquid like substance inside it, and the second, a hard layer outside that helps maintain the sturdiness of the disk, so that it is not ruptured. When the liquid inside flows out of the disc it causes a herniated disc.
A Herniated Disc treatment might be required due to an injury caused due to any kind of a slip disc that happens in any part of the lower back. There are various kinds of Herniated Disc treatments.
Herniated Disc Symptoms
To begin a Herniated Disc Treatment, it is important to identify its latent symptoms of the injury and to go to an Orthopedic Surgeon. Some of the commonly notable symptoms include:
- Pain and numbness on one part of the body.
- Excruciating pain that it either on the legs or the hands.
- With any kind of movement of the back and the pelvic region,the pain gets worse
- Aggravated pain at night without any movements
- Severe weakness of the body and inability to pick up weights, resulting in severe pain.
- During the working sessions or while working, either manually or physically, a burning sessions in the affected area.
Who Is At Risk For Herniated Disc?
Not everybody is prone to have a herniated disc. If you belong to the following categories, you might be at risk for herniated disc.
- With age, the bones and discs become brittle and if you are above the age of forty, you must be very careful with certain movements.
- If your bones are not very strong and you have a history of bone ailments, then, you could be at risk for herniated disc. In that case, do not lift heavy weights as then, the Herniated Disc treatment might become a lengthy medical process. Heavy weights create problems to the discs and often the liquid in the inner layer of the discs come out.
- If you engage in laborious activities, then might be at risk of Herniated Discs. Then, you will have to take continued Herniated Disc Treatment.
Diagnosis for Herniated Disc Treatment:
- The first step is to have a regular check up where the doctor manually touches the affected area based on symptomatic reporting.
- They doctors try to understand the causes of Herniated Disc by asking questions about your history, about when the first symptom was observed and about whether the patient has been lifting heavy weights or not.
- The doctor usually asks you to go for an X-ray, CT Scan or Disco-grams, to know about the imagery representation of the affected area so that the right treatment and quantum of medication can be given for Herniated Disc Treatment.
Herniated Disc Treatment:
Non Surgical Treatments: The conventional old school technique of medicinal Herniated Disc Treatment is what the doctors prescribe to, when the patient comes to a Orthopaedician in the incipient stages. The doctors usually give pain killers and ointments. If a patient gets relief after using the medicines and the relief is sustained over a period of time, the goal of concluding the Herniated Disc treatment is accomplished.
Surgical Treatment: There are three types of surgeries which are performed. They are:
- Lumbar Discectomy Spine Surgery: It is a surgery where a small incision is made at the back, around the soft tissue and a very small portion of the soft tissue is taken out. The recovery period during the postoperative period is very short and it is proven to give guaranteed results.
- Lumbar Decompression Surgery: In this form of Herniated Disc treatment, where a only a small incision is made to remove the nerve which has been pinched between the disc and the bone below the spinal cord. It is performed so that the nerve is relieved from the pressure caused on the nerve root.
It is very serious issue of the disc which has been damages. Sometimes, if the Herniated Disc Treatment is not taken on time; it can lead to serious damage of the disc and can also injury to the spinal cord permanently. Hence, whenever one is suspicious about any of the symptoms of Herniated Disc. It is better to visit the nearest doctor in the shortest possible time for Herniated Disc Treatment.
About Sunshine Hospitals:
A Multi Super Speciality Institution, 500+ bedded Sunshine Hospitals is promoted by globally reputed Joint Replacement Surgeon Dr. AV Gurava Reddy (Orthopedic Doctor) and like-minded associates who share the objective of making world-standard healthcare available, affordable and accessible to the common man.