- 19 June 2018
- 3371 Views
Overview Of Cervical Spondylitis
You must be used to seeing your grandparents or others’ grandparents in those neck casts and might’ve even tried it on once or twice to know how it feels to walk around with it. But have you ever wondered how does it come to a point where they need something to support their necks? We just made you think. We also have answers to why it comes to that point. Read on to know everything about it.
What is cervical spondylosis?
One of the main reasons for them to be in a cast is cervical spondylosis. Cervical spondylosis is an age-related condition that affects the joints and discs in your cervical spine, which is in your neck. This condition is known as cervical osteoarthritis or neck arthritis as well. It occurs from wear and tear of cartilage and bones, largely due to age yet there can be other factors responsible for it.
What Are the Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis?
- stiffness and pain in the neck
- Headache originating from the neck
- Pain in the shoulder or arms
- Inability to turn the head or bend the neck
- Severe cases may experience dizziness and blackouts
What Are the Treatments for Cervical Spondylosis?
- Rest: cervical spondylosis is a chronic condition which gets better when taken rest and keeps in check when exerted less exertion on the body.
- Medications: painkillers are generally prescribed to relieve you of pain
- Chiropractic manipulation to help control episodes of severe pain
- Cervical collar: it is worn to limit movement and provide support, so that the neck is not jerked and you don’t fall.
- Physical Therapy- A Physiotherapist can help you with exercises to help stretch and strengthen the muscles in your neck and shoulders. Some people with cervical spondylosis benefit from the use of traction, or heat and cold therapy. This helps provide more space within the spine if nerve roots are being pinched.
- Acupuncture: Your doctor might recommend trying acupuncture to reduce tension in the muscle relieving you of the pain.
- Surgery: Surgery is recommended only if conservative treatment fails or if your neurological signs and symptoms worsen, to create more room for your spinal cord and nerve roots.
About the Doctor:Dr. Naveen is an expert in treating patients with brain tumor. He is one of the Best Neurosurgeons in Hyderabad and is sought after for some of the most delicate and complicated brain and Spine Surgeries.
About Sunshine Hospitals:
A Multi Super Speciality Institution, 500 bedded Sunshine Hospitals (Paradise Circle, Secunderabad) is promoted by globally reputed Joint Replacement Surgeon Dr. AV Gurava Reddy (Orthopedic Doctor) and like-minded associates who share the objective of making world-standard healthcare available, affordable and accessible to the common man. Sunshine has now become one of the best hospitals for many treatments including Orthopedic, Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Trauma and Neurology.