Traumatic Brain Injury
Traumatic brain injury is defined as a disruption in the normal function of the brain that can be caused by a bump,blow, or jolt to the head, or penetrating head injury. Everyone is at risk for TBI, especially children and older adults. Road traffic accidents result in largest percentage of TBI related deaths. TBI is a serious public health problem and is responsible for a substantial number of deaths and permanent disability.Not all blows/ jolts result into TBI TBI can be mild or severe. Mild TBI may be a brief change in mental status and called as ” Concussion”. Severe TBI in simple terms means an extended period of unconsciousness. How do you do things that you do? From the very basic things like blinking, to performing complex task such as thinking and executing, it’s your brain that orchestrates every action.Now imagine if your brain was to go through some injury. How would you behave or act or even understand? How would your life be? It’s scary. But, there are surgeries and treatments which aim in helping a patient overcome the consequences of a brain injury. At Sunshine, our neurosurgeons have been successful in helping many patients overcome the ‘trauma’ after a traumatic brain injury. The intensity and after effects of a brain injury are never the same. They’re different in different scenarios, but, there are certain common symptoms that make diagnosis a bit easier.
Symptoms of a Brain Injury:
The various symptoms of a brain injury are:
- Loss of memory
- Inability to talk
- Acute confusion
- Difficulty with concentrating on work.
- Constant irritability
- Extended period of unconsciousness(Coma)
- Irregular bowels and no control on the bowel
Grading of TBI
The Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) is one of the most commonly used severity scoring system. GCS 3-8 Severe TBI GCS 9-12 Moderate TBI GCS 13-15 Mild TBI
Treatments for a Traumatic Brain Injury
- In the case of an acute brain injury, it is important to note that one has to be put under mechanical ventilators to keep the pressure under control in the head.
- Sedatives are often administered, which would help in reducing the agitation and the restlessness, caused due to the injury.
- One might be administered with medication, which will take care of seizures, which are possible in the future.
- In case a person requires, rehabilitative treatment is provided to the patient. This helps in the overall healing of the patient.
- Surgical treatments are sometimes suggested for patients who are suffering from an acute form of traumatic brain injury.
About The Doctor:
Dr Naveen is an expert in treating with brain tumor cases. He takes special interest in supervising brain scan and MRI on patients suspected of Alzheimer’s and other neurological diseases. He is one of the best Neurosurgeon in Hyderabad and is sought after for some of the most delicate and complicated brain surgeries.
About Sunshine Hospitals:
A Multi Super Speciality Institution, 500 bedded Sunshine Hospitals (Paradise Circle, Secunderabad) is promoted by globally reputed Joint Replacement Surgeon Dr. AV Gurava Reddy (Orthopedic Doctor) and like-minded associates who share the objective of making world-standard healthcare available, affordable and accessible to the common man. Sunshine has now become one of the best hospitals for many treatments including Orthopedic, Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Trauma and Neurology.