- 02 May 2019
- 3932 Views
What Difference A Joint Replacement Can Bring In Your Life?
The joint replacement is a surgical procedure in which the damaged parts of arthritis are removed and replaced with the metal, plastic and ceramic device which is called a prosthesis. The prosthesis makes the joints to be normal and has healthy joints.
The hip and knee have the first place in the joint replacement and it can be performed on other joints also such as ankle, wrist, shoulder, and elbow.
When the joint replacement is considered:
The joint pain makes the person feel pain and unstable. Joint pain may cause damage to the cartilage that may end with the bones like arthritis, fracture, or any other condition.
If the person won’t get the relief from the pain then, the person will go under surgery in which the surgery may give the relief from the pain to the person.
Joint replacement can make a difference in our daily life:
The time required for the full recovery of the treatment is 8 to 12 weeks from a joint replacement. If you don’t have someone to take care of yourself at home. Then you can ask the doctor to recommend a home guardian and you may visit the physical therapist to help the patient to recover fast.
The joint replacement made the differences in the daily life of a person. They are:
- Adjusting to your new knee: When there is a knee replacement it causes more pain, but it is necessary to make a surgery. You may have a problem at the time of surgery and at the same time, there is some advantage also at joint replacement surgery. The knee replacement makes the person be effective and gives the person a new knee.
- Driving: The person who has the knee replacement, they may drive a car within a few days. When your left knee is replaced, then you can drive an automatic transmission. When your right knee replaced, then you may not be able to drive the car for 4 weeks from the surgery. It may take a long time to drive a car.
You may be able to drive a car and your knee can easily operate the pedals. You are not allowed to drive a car while taking the narcotics and other medications that may damage your strength to handle a car. You can meet and talk with your doctor about your health condition and for the ability to handle a car.
If you have to walk for long distances without having any facilities then you can ask the doctor to prescribe a walker or other assistive devices for help.
- Back to work: You will be able to go to work within the 3 to 6 weeks of the surgery. You can also return to the work within the 10 days by staying at home. It may require more time to recovery of the knee pain.
If your workforce is long then you can return to the work within the 3 months. Make sure to get the business updates on time and meet with your head and be aware of your situation. Try to recover soon and get better results.
- Travel: It is difficult to go for a long distance travelling when you are having joint pains. The long distance travelling makes you to stick at one place which makes your knees and legs to swollen where it leads to the pain and blood circulation difficulties.
After the joint replacement, your doctor will advise you about few physical exercises, diet and post cautions those can strengthen your joints and it supporting muscles. After your recovery, you can ride long journeys without any pains. You should consult your orthopaedic doctor when you’re planning to go on a long trip after the first couple of months to the joint replacement surgery.
- Household chores: At your older age, you may be won’t able to stand for a long time while cooking at home. This will increase the risk of knee pain and swelling. You can make the household works when you feel comfortable and may be able to move around freely.
It may take several weeks or months to get recovery from the knee pain and then you can easily return to your work with the free movement. Make your knee to be in a rest position by using the cushion which makes the knees free.
- Exercise and getting around: You should do regular exercises and assistive device for long distance whenever needed.this may help you in the strengthening of your knees. You may walk on your own and able to participate in the activities after 12 weeks of the treatment. The swimming and riding a bike may be helpful to loosen your knees but, the knee should be cured first and then you can go into the pool.
Make sure that to place any weights or pressure on your knees, lift any weight machines or doing exercises for the first few months of the surgery. Totally, avoid the movements which are a danger to damage the knee.
- Medication: Make sure to follow your doctor suggestions for the improvement of your knee pain. The doctor may suggest some medications for using it for a long period which can reduce your pain but, it may damage your internal organs such as liver, kidneys.
The proper diet and icing may reduce the inflammation, pain and make the joints to be a strength.
- Getting back to normal: When you have a knee replacement then you are supposed to follow the instructions of your doctor for the better results for your knee.
When you have a joint replacement then you are not able to do work for a few days and it may be difficult to bear the pain. Then you can follow the suggestion of your doctor. This can help you to guide to better understand your life.
About Sunshine Hospitals:
Sunshine Hospitals, Bhubaneswar is an ultramodern 125-bed, tertiary care hospital located in the heart of Bhubaneswar. Established in the year 2015 with a mission to provide quality healthcare services to the people of Odisha. Sunshine’s patient-first approach steers it steadily in the direction of ensuring that state-of-the-art technology meets state-of-the –heart services to produce positive patient outcomes.