World No Tobacco Day, 31 May 2019: Tobacco And Lung Health
World No Tobacco Day is an annual awareness day program observed on May 31 which is sponsored by the World Health Organization (WHO) since 1987. The intention of the event is to point out the health risks associated with the consumption of tobacco and its products and to encourage governments to bring effective policies so that smoking and consumption of other tobacco products can be reduced.
According to WHO, more than 7M people are dying around the world every year due to tobacco consumption. In INDIA, tobacco usage is one of the largest preventable cause of many deaths. It causes different types of cancer, heart diseases, lung diseases, stroke and a lot of health problems.
This year’s campaign theme of World No Tobacco Day 2019 is “tobacco and lung health.”
The campaign will focus on increasing awareness over:
- the negative impact causing by tobacco and its products on people’s lung health, from severe respiratory disease to cancer
- the key role of lungs in the health and well-being of a person.
We, Sunshine Hospitals as a part of social responsibility encouraging governments to protect people from tobacco by taking some serious actions:
- Create smoke-free public places, workplaces
- Help people who want to quit tobacco by providing rehab centres and toll-free quitlines
- Create awareness through social media and launch effective anti-tobacco media campaigns to educate the public about tobacco harms.
If you are a smoker, quit smoking now. “Don’t let you and your family’s future go vein in smoke.”